Friday, February 18, 2011

Week 6 Muddiest Point

For this weeks muddiest point I wanted to talk about the article, "(White) Women We Love." I understand the general idea the writer, Eugene Robinson, is getting at. The fact that so much suffering and hardship permeates our world, our media seems to focus on the tragic stories of beautiful people. What I don't understand is why he chooses to label these women as damsels. Despite being right about our media's fixation on our comeliest citizens, he comes across a callous and unfeeling towards the plight of these victims. After all, most of these so-called damsels were raped, beaten, and in many cases murdered. I find it extremely offensive that he would degrade their suffering by referencing them in this way. I wonder how he would feel if a white man wrote an article entitled, "(Black) Women We Love," and referred to them in the same insensitive manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment